Thursday, April 8, 2010

stitched-a-long


It's a dark and rainy night -- windy too -- but I'm comfortable and warm. The wood stove humms behind me as I sip Earl Grey from my cherry teacup and sew buttons. Stitching has become a refuge -- quiet and slow -- at the close of a busy day. It's the last day of the 39 Square Challenge and, though I didn't stitch 39 squares, I finished my sampler today. 

I added a second paisley for good measure because the first one turned out so well.

My initials fill the bottom right square.

My sampler is a little different from some of the others in that I created a checker-board pattern by filling alternating squares. Most of the buttons that occupy the in-between spaces come from my grandmother's button jar (which I inherited along with her sewing machine and table when she downsized). There's nothing fancy about them, except that they have history.  All in all, I'm pleased with the final product.  It suits me.


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. WOW...congratulations on finishing! What an awesome achievement, and your sampler is just beautiful...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being done! It looks so pretty! I finsiehd one more square last night and still have three to go. I was hoping to be finished by last night, but that did not happen. By this weekend for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing! It looks wonderful. Everything goes together so well. Mine is still not finished, sigh.

    ReplyDelete