Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Strawberries


It was a long, cold spring, but summer is finally here.  How do I know it?  How do I know it's not just another tantalizing start, followed by a week of drizzle?  Strawberries -- fragrant and juicy.  I'm bringing them in from the garden by the bucket-load.  I'm eating them for breakfast, lunch and supper.  It is, after all, the right of a gardener to gorge on whatever is in season.  In that vein, these are my FAVORITE FIVE for fresh strawberries:
  1. Tossed with BALSAMIC VINEGAR.  It sounds strange, but just try it.
  2. With WHIPPED CREAM.
  3. Sliced over a bowl of homemade GRANOLA, topped with plain yogurt
  4. In a SALAD with avocado, candied ginger, lime, juice and fresh cilantro.
  5. Sun-warmed and STRAIGHT OFF THE PLANT.
How do you like your strawberries?


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm going to try the salad with avocado today. I think I'll leave out the cilantro because of you know who.
    What a lovely harvest you have! Mine are from the market. Still local, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by the way, yes, we did eat bread on a stick. How ever did you know?

    ReplyDelete