Monday, December 14, 2009

advent


December snuck up on me and I didn't realize that advent had begun until it was too late. We're celebrating anyway, just a little behind schedule. Last night -- the third Sunday -- we lit our second candle. The first was lit three nights previous on a Thursday (oh no!) and perhaps this Wednesday or Thursday we'll lite another candle and be caught up for next Sunday.

Being behind doesn't bother me much. Life is busy and I'm pleased to be celebrating advent at all. Last night my husband and I settled on the couch, breathed the smell of a struck match, and took turns reading familiar Christmas passages from Isaiah and the gospels. We conteplated the flickering flames -- light in the darkness.

. . . the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord (Isaiah
11:9)

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her
will be accomplished (Luke 1:45)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I've been praying the verse from Luke for you.

    I love candlelight and quiet evenings.

    ReplyDelete